HR101: HR for non-HR Professionals (Calgary)
12:00 pm - 4:30 pm
Register by September 25, 2019
Once you've been promoted to team lead, supervisor, or manager, you often end up doing "HR off the side of your desk." Yet, as a technical professional, you probably were not trained in human resources management principles or the legislative framework surrounding HR. This half-day workshop gives you the basic knowledge, tools, and tips on how to manage employees effectively: getting the right people in the door, managing their performance effectively, and helping people transition who are not a good a fit for their roles or your organization.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to apply best practices in:
- Interviews & Selection
- Know what to look for when screening a resume, and shortlist candidates efficiently
- Develop effective interview questions and apply different interview techniques
- Avoid asking inappropriate questions that should not be asked in an interview (prevent discrimination)
- Performance Management & Progressive Discipline (including Terminations/Layoffs)
- Describe the performance management cycle and process
- Explain the manager’s and the employee’s roles in performance management (including setting & managing expectations)
- Know what to do before, during, and after a performance review meeting
- Apply the steps of progressive discipline and document performance matters appropriately
- Distinguish between termination for cause and without cause
- Terminate an employee effectively (when and how to have the difficult “firing” meeting)
About the Presenter
Julianna Cantwell, CACE, CPHR, is the President of JUNA Consulting Inc., a strategic human resources consulting practice that helps organizations improve individual and group performance. Specializing in learning and development for 20 years and communications for more than 15 years, Julianna logs over 100 days a year speaking and facilitating learning.
Julianna supports learning in business and leadership skills, especially in male-dominated work environments. She has facilitated workshops for:
- Women in Science, Engineering, Trades, and Technology (WinSETT) Centre
- The Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA)
- The Association of Science and Engineering Technology (ASET) Professionals of Alberta
- Mentoring, Opportunities and Real Experiences (MORE) Program
- Construction Labour Relations Association (CLRA)
- EPCOR, Capital Power, Enbridge, Cougar Drilling, Qualico, Valard, TEC Edmonton, Clark Builders, and others
Committed to lifelong learning, Julianna is a graduate from the University of Alberta, NAIT, and MacEwan University and is a Chartered Professional in Human Resources (CPHR). She is also a Past President of the Human Resources Management Association of Edmonton (HRMAE), a former Director on the Board of Alberta Women Entrepreneurs (AWE), and is currently Vice Chair of the Self-Regulation Policy Advisory Group for the Chartered Professionals in Human Resources – Alberta (CPHR-AB). Julianna also served as a Director on the Board for Little Warriors.
October 2, 2019
12:00 to 4:30 p.m.
Professional Member: $305
Group and company discounts apply. Every third registrant on the same form gets 50% off.
September 25, 2019